Can’t get SSAS databases to appear in Performance Point Dashboard Designer? Check you ADOMD.net version!
August 14, 2012 8 Comments
I’ve been working over the last couple of days on creating a SharePoint farm consisting of a SharePoint 2013 Server backed by a SQL 2012 database with a Windows 8 Client machine.
Overall the experience has been very good and I’m really liking the new look and feel for SharePoint and the new BI capabilities introduced in conjunction with SQL 2012 SP1.
Trying to create a dashboard using the PerformancePoint dashboard designer, however, I could not get the database dropdown to populate with from my SSAS instance, it just kept coming back empty
A bit of scratching of the head eventually brought me to look at the SharePoint Server’s event log where this was being logged –
The data source provider for data sources of type ‘ADOMD.NET’ is not registered. Please contact an administrator.
PerformancePoint Services error code 10115.
I expected this to have been installed already on the server, but clearly it was not, so I quickly made my way to Bing and looked up ADOMD.net which led me to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23089 to download and install the latest version. only that it didn’t help.
To be sure I’m picking up the latest I restarted the server (restarting the application pools would have been enough, but I went for the whole hog); this proved useful because although the server kept logging the same warning as before, shortly after starting it also logged the following error –
Unable to load custom data source provider type: Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.DataSourceProviders.AdomdDataSourceProvider, Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.DataSourceProviders.Standard, Version=188.8.131.52, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
PerformancePoint Services error code 10107.
This explained better what was going on – I probably had the ADOMD installed, but I needed a very specific version of it, which turns out to be the SQL 2008 one from April 2009, which can be found here
After I’ve installed this one (and restarted the application pool) my SSAS databases appear as expected –